“The Center has established a sound reputation as a sponsor of community conversations about the media and news coverage, and its director, Andrew Conte, is a well-respected, award-winning investigative journalist who has a media network that extends beyond the borders of our region.”
– Grant Oliphant, president, The Heinz Endowments, & David K. Roger, president, Hillman Family Foundations. April 18, 2018.
founding director: 2016-present
Selected awards, recognitions and grants:
- Clinic presentation, People Powered Publishing, 2018.
- Poster presentation, Engagement Scholarship Consortium, 2018.
- Grant recipient, FISA Foundation, 2018 – $50,000 for All-Abilities Media Project.
- Grant recipient, The Heinz Endowments, 2018 – $17,000 for Pittsburgh Media Ecosystem project.
- Grant recipient, Pittsburgh Foundation, summer 2018 – $7,000 for McKeesport Media Oasis summer pilot.
- Social Impact Scholar, 2017-18, Center for Inclusive Excellence & Department of Community Engagement, Point Park University.
- Grant recipient, Allegheny Foundation, 2016 – $2.5 million for developing Center for Media Innovation.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, investigative reporter: 2001-2016
- Point Park News Service, Point Park University, founding director: 2005-present
- Author of The Color of Sundays, released in 2015; Breakaway, a 2010 best-seller; and All About Roberto Clemente, a children’s book
- Essential Pittsburgh, guest host for a daily talk show on Pittsburgh’s NPR station, WESA-FM: 2014-2016
- The Cincinnati Post, reporter: 1998-2001
- The Stuart News / The Post St. Lucie News, reporter: 1997-1998
- Council for Urban Economic Development, editor: 1994-1996
- Jack Anderson’s Washington Merry-Go-Round, associate: 1991-1994
- Point Park University; PhD student, Community Engagement, current
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism; MS, with honors, 1997
- Dickinson College; BA American Studies, with minors in Russian and English, 1993
- American University; Semester in Washington, D.C., 1991
- Mendeleev Institute; Russian language and Soviet culture program; 1991
Press Club of Western Pennsylvania: Ray Sprigle Memorial Award for overall best reporting at a large-circulation daily publication — 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009
Scripps Howard Foundation: William Brewster Styles Award, recognizing outstanding national business and economics reporting – 2013
Carnegie Science Award – 2010
Association of Health Care Journalists: 1st place, Awards for Excellence – 2009
Inland Press Association: 1st Place, Explanatory — 2015; 1st Place investigative — 2014, 2010; 1st Place, Local News – 2011, 2008
Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants: Truth in Finances Award, 2014, 2013
National Headliner Awards: Finalist, 2014
Society of American Business Editors and Writers: Finalist, 2014
The National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation: Finalist – 2012
Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors: 1st place, Investigative Reporting – 2009
Pennsylvania Bar Association: 1st Place, Special Report/Series — 2015
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Journalist of the Year – 2007, 2004; Best Enterprise/Investigation — 2014, 2008
Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, Finalist – 2005
Austria Press Agency: Writing for Central Europe Award, Finalist – 2004
East-West Center: Fellow, Japan-US Journalists Exchange – 2009
German Marshall Fund of the United States: Journalism fellow – 2003