“The Center has established a sound reputation as a sponsor of community conversations about the media and news coverage, and its director, Andrew Conte, is a well-respected, award-winning investigative journalist who has a media network that extends beyond the borders of our region.”
– Grant Oliphant, president, The Heinz Endowments, & David K. Roger, president, Hillman Family Foundations. April 18, 2018.
Center for Media Innovation at Point Park University, founding director: 2016-present
Point Park University, part-time faculty: 2005-present
Selected grants, presentations and awards:
- Presenter, Building Local News Ecosystems: A Knight Media Forum 2019 Preview – February 2019. Media Impact Funders.
- Grant recipient, The Pittsburgh Foundation, February 2019 – $180,000 for McKeesport Media Oasis community newsroom project.
- Clinic presentation,”McKeesport Media Oasis,” People Powered Publishing, 2018.
- Presenter, “Media Oasis Project.”
Andrew Conte, Point Park University; Keino Fitzpatrick,
Significant disruption in the traditional journalism industry
has created news deserts, or places where residents lack
access to local news and information. Learn how the Media
Oasis Project seeks to reconnect these people with
community-generated content, while engaging college
students and local youth. Poster presentation, Engagement Scholarship Consortium, 2018.
- Edith L. Trees Charitable Trust, 2018 – $40,800 for All-Abilities Media Project.
- Grant recipient, FISA Foundation, 2018 – $50,000 for All-Abilities Media Project.
- Grant recipient, The Heinz Endowments, 2018 – $17,000 for Bridge Pittsburgh Media Partnership media ecosystem project.
- Grant recipient, The Pittsburgh Foundation, summer 2018 – $7,000 for McKeesport Media Oasis summer pilot.
- Social Impact Scholar, 2017-18, Center for Inclusive Excellence & Department of Community Engagement, Point Park University.
- Grant recipient, Allegheny Foundation, 2016 – $2.5 million for developing Center for Media Innovation.
Nonfiction book author
- The Color of Sundays, released 2015. Winner of a Silver Benjamin Franklin Award, Independent Book Publishers Association.
- Breakaway, released 2010. National best-seller
- All About Roberto Clemente, released 2016.
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, investigative reporter: 2007-2016
- Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, government and general assignment reporter: 2001-2007
- Essential Pittsburgh, guest host for a daily talk show on Pittsburgh’s NPR station, WESA-FM: 2014-2016
- University of Pittsburgh, part-time faculty, 2003-2005
- The Cincinnati Post, reporter: 1998-2001
- The Stuart News / The Post St. Lucie News, reporter: 1997-1998
- Council for Urban Economic Development, editor: 1994-1996
- Jack Anderson’s Washington Merry-Go-Round, associate: 1991-1994
- National Geographic Society News Service, intern: 1991
- Point Park University; PhD student, Community Engagement, current
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism; MS, with honors, 1997
- Dickinson College; BA American Studies, with minors in Russian and English, 1993
- American University; Semester in Washington, D.C., 1991
- Mendeleev Institute; Russian language and Soviet culture program; 1991
SELECTED JOURNALISM AWARDS
Press Club of Western Pennsylvania: Ray Sprigle Memorial Award for overall best reporting at a large-circulation daily publication — 2013, 2012, 2010, 2009
Scripps Howard Foundation: William Brewster Styles Award, recognizing outstanding national business and economics reporting – 2013
Carnegie Science Award – 2010
Association of Health Care Journalists: 1st place, Awards for Excellence – 2009
Inland Press Association: 1st Place, Explanatory — 2015; 1st Place investigative — 2014, 2010; 1st Place, Local News – 2011, 2008
Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants: Truth in Finances Award, 2014, 2013
National Headliner Awards: Finalist, 2014
Society of American Business Editors and Writers: Finalist, 2014
The National Institute for Health Care Management Foundation: Finalist – 2012
Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors: 1st place, Investigative Reporting – 2009
Pennsylvania Bar Association: 1st Place, Special Report/Series — 2015
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review: Journalist of the Year – 2007, 2004; Best Enterprise/Investigation — 2014, 2008
Livingston Awards for Young Journalists, Finalist – 2005
Austria Press Agency: Writing for Central Europe Award, Finalist – 2004
East-West Center: Fellow, Japan-US Journalists Exchange – 2009
German Marshall Fund of the United States: Journalism fellow – 2003